Sunday, December 30, 2007

Rusty Polka Dot Set

I started the small round box about a week ago and had all the little cones cut out, glued together AND adhered to the box. I put it aside and promptly forgot about it! I decided to rescue it from the land of forgotten projects tonight and finish the embellishments then got a little carried away and made an entire set out of it!


The round box is made out of brown craft board. I used some Wanted paper from SU and rusty polka dot paper from K&Company for this project. The top of the round box was made with 1.5" and 1" square that were rolled into cones and adhered together (and to the box) with red sticky tape. I stamped images from Baroque Motifs for the center of the bow/flower and added a little gold glitter for the very center. This box fits inside of the larger box.


The larger box is made with a sheet of 12x12 paper and a sheet of 11.5 x 11.5 paper. I folded it using a method I found on Nichole Heady's blog quite awhile ago. I can give directions on here if anyone is interested... it's really easy to do! I added rust satin ribbon in a criss-cross pattern and a big mixed ribbon pouff for the top. There is also a little gift tag that can be attached. The round box fits inside of this box, or it can be used on it's own.


The card is HUGE... it measures 9.25" x 3.75" and fits in a No 10 business envelope (the ones you can buy in any office supply section). I decorated the card with the same embellies used on the round box top, and a sentiment that was part of the die cut pages of the K&Company scrapbook kit. I added another ribbon mixture for the card. The envelope was completely covered with polka dot paper (both front & back) to give it a little extra sturdiness. I added a little rust satin bow on the flap.



One of my goals for 2008 is to make COMPLETE projects rather than just cards. I'm gonna go out of my way to make a matching envie for every card. I know I've said this before... but I'm gonna try to stick with it this time! What are your 2008 stamping goals??



Let me know what you think of this project.... I also want feedback on selling a set like this. I've been tossing about the idea of putting some projects on etsy to sell them... I have such a huge stash of stuff here that I really need to let some of it go. What is a good price for something like this... and would anyone even buy it? All these things to think about...... any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated, including any experiences with www.etsy.com.



Thanks for reading... and everyone have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!

23 comments:

Gwen said...

Stunning...love all of it!

Diane said...

Oh my goodness !!! This is absolutely gorgeous!!!

Virginia Killmore said...

Wow Michelle This is wonderful I will need to try this!Is this your own pattern?

Anonymous said...

Wow! what a set - certainly people would buy it - I know that I would.

4Hounds said...

Michelle, this set is gorgeous!! So many beautiful pieces...you bet, I'd buy it! I've read about other people's experiences at craft fairs, etc. and it sounds like it really depends on the location, etc. Some customers are willing to pay top dollar for beautiful handmade items, some people want you to 'give' away beautiful things and sell them for close to nothing. I'd be comfortable putting a price of $12-15 dollars on this...but I know that you could easily get more if you were in a 'high-end' craft fair area. (Your stuff rocks!!) Oh..by the way...when you get ready to 'clear out' your stash..let me know!! I'd LOVE to have a stash of my very own Flaxychick creations! Have a great day! Pam B. (4Hounds)

Anonymous said...

What an awesome project. Good luck on your resolution. I have a question regarding the cones on the round box. Are they all the same size? They don't appear to be.
Cathy Green

Anonymous said...

I would love to buy this set. I think $22-$25 would be realistic. I'm sure you have lots of time involved as well as sevral pieces of designer paper. Your work is stunning! Jackie/ bichon lover

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Wow, this is one terrific project. I love how you made matching envelopes. I believe this would be a good seller on e-bay, and agree with 4hounds at $12-$14. Still isn't much money considering all the time put into such a gorgeous project. It's so unfortunate that one can't make a lot of money on creativity.

ReneeK said...

I think this set of goodies is gorgeous! I wish I were half as talented as you! As for selling, not sure what it should cost, as for buying...I probably would!

Unknown said...

I don't think on etsy or ebay you would get what this project is really worth considering the time you put in designing, etc. however, if you duplicate each design a few times, then it may be more cost effective, since your time would average out to be much lower :o)
they are absolutely beautiful...you are very talented!!

Allison Rankin said...

This is such a wow Michelle! I don't normally have time to comment (too many sites to link up in a day) but I had to stop here! So, that should give you at least one person's perspective on whether it is a "show stopper" or not!

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful set! Love the detail you show in your pictures, and they are so nice and big when I click on them....just thought I'd let you know I really appreciated the size. It's great to see your creations larger than life...they always seem that way to me anyway!

Doris said...

Wow--have you been busy. Best wishes for a great New Year!

michelle sturgeon said...

*gasp*! LOVE that flower box lid...I mean I LOVE it! You are truly talented! It must be the name! (LOL)

Anonymous said...

WOW!! What a beautiful set! I know I would certainly buy it. Have no idea on how to price it though. Best of luck to you!

Anonymous said...

Love your blog. Your are inspiring.

Anonymous said...

My stamping goals for 2008 include setting up a blog and uploading to SCS... time to stop being a closet voyer and upload some of the artwork that I have completed. I'm just a chicken to get over the technical hurdle. Wish me luck!

Deb Wood said...

Wow, gorgeous!!!!

Anonymous said...

Love the set! The round box is my favorite. The top is simply awesome! Yes I think things like this will sell. Not sure on a price though. My suggestion is to look for similar things for sale and check out their pricing. Linda

stampqueen said...

That set is awwsome!!! I have found that selling craft items on etsy or at craft fairs that you never can tell what people will buy or how much they will pay. The good thing about Etsy is that the listing prices are very low and the traffic is very high - I think you will get more for handcrafted items off etsy than ebay as etsy is known for handmade and attracts a market that is more willing to buy and pay for handmade. Charge what you feel makes it worth you time and supplies - and let us know when you get your etsy shop up and running as I am sure we'd all love to go shopping!!!!

dpkennedy said...

This set is certainly gorgeous! I think Etsy would be a better outlet than Ebay, but still it's difficult to tell. There are many people who are not "crafty" who don't realize the real cost of a handmade item is more than just materials. As for a craft fair I agree that it depends on the area. I am always willing pay for time and quality! Good luck!

JanTink said...

Am gobsmacked...love the flower on top of the bos...where has your blog been all my life, LOL!

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful set, especially love the round box. I have no idea what people sell things for now. I did craft shows for 16 years selling wood crafts but have been out of it for 10 years. Do some research and go for it! What do you have to lose? Start a little low until you see what the market will bear.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin